Dad tales 2 – the birth

On November 21, before lunch, I got the alarming phone call – it’s time.


I have absolutely no idea what went through my mind at this exact moment. I was at work and started to tie together loose ends as quickly as possible. Told my boss and quietly faded away, so not too many people would notice. They noticed. Took the bus home, still shivering and dizzy.

When I finally arrived, the soon-to-be-Mom was looking awkward. I was looking awkward. We had absolutely no idea what to do next. When the first anxiety was gone, we were actually quite relaxed and started waiting for what the future brings.

Of course I wasn’t calm. Far from it, but I think I managed to look calm. We packed our stuff, watched TV, ate, the water broke, watched TV, packed, the water broke again, changed the towels under her, watched TV, packed. Both looking calm with thunderstorms inside. At least for me.  We knew that we shouldn’t go to the hospital too soon, otherwise we will have to sit on a bench and stare the ceiling. But soon the time came – the pains were starting. With shivering hands, I carried all the stuff to the car – the stuff that I had not yet had to carry – a crib, some blankets etc. So it was looking quite serious. Baby serious. The time was close to 18.00.

Since the pains were not too serious yet, we got some food from the gas station, to not starve and drove to the hospital (good choice and croissants were a must for the future Mom). When we arrived and got the paperwork done it was time to go to the final destination – the labor room, in which we spent hours. We knew that the family rooms in Tallinn’s hospitals are hard to get, so we mentioned it to everyone we could (again, a good choice).

When we got into the hospital room, we changed to shorts, since the rooms are hot as hell, and started to wait. Put some nice music on from Spotify and got comfortable. Ate as much as we could while we still could. We were both in good enough condition to joke around and get familiar with all the equipment. Laughing and not worried at all.

Processed with VSCO with t1 preset

The hours went and the pain started. As a side note – for whatever reason I had only slept about two hours the night before (not a good choice). Of course we were not too familiar with the birth tips and tricks, but to be honest – there was enough time for us to try everything to relieve the pain.Processed with VSCO with t1 preset

I think it was around 10 pm when decent pains kicked in and I was already praying for it to be over before midnight. It wasn’t. I held her head, told her to sleep whenever she could, tried everything. Brought enormous amounts of drinking water. Tried even to throw in a couple of perfect jokes – not a good idea.

By 2 am the pains were so tough that we had to try something different. We went to the shower – she was in pain and I was pouring water over her. With that big belly, it really was like watering a washed up . . fish. Only she was in pain and ready to pass out. I have to say that on that moment I felt like I couldn’t take it anymore. The kid had to be born.

Nope. Not even close. She was not able to stand on her feet or kneel or lay down. And there was absolutely nothing for me to do except calm her and tell her to shut her eyes and sleep in between the pains.

At I don’t remember what time, I went to ask the doc for an injection. It was clearly visible that the situation is out of control. The pushes were not starting and most of the second shift working this night in the entire hospital had visited us.

The most difficult time for me came. Anaesthesiologist came with paperwork, that I had to fill, and I had to go out of the room. I couldn’t get back in for I think half an hour. I was walking back and forth in the hall, worrying sick. I think my footprints should still be visible there.

These were honestly THE SLOWEST minutes of my life.

But when I got back in, she was starting to look good again, it relieved enough. Even though since she had been in labour for more than 14 hours, they couldn’t give her the full bang. So, after an hour or so, the pains kicked in again. It seemed to go on forever. I was getting so tired. When the pain faded, I told her to sleep and fell asleep myself. Every time. For just a bit until the next one kicked in.

The THIRD shift came – also the nicest – a nurse with experience and compassion. She also brought someone, I don’t know who but they made it look easier. And the kid to start moving.

It didn’t look more painful than it did before. But when the nurse started to dress up with gloves and moving the equipment closer to her, the sleep was gone. I knew it was time for business. A few (actually a lot more than a few) pushes and the baby was in her hands. A small tiny creature with absolutely no idea of what he had wrapped himself into. I didn’t know how to react but I was immediately in business. Cut the cord, which I thought I couldn’t do. Helped the nurse mark the time and put the kid to Moms lap. Oh, the look on her face. It was a tired and confused but so cute look.

To be honest, my first question to the nurse was – when will his head turn back to normal. He was looking like a traffic cone. A pinkish-blue traffic cone.

And suddenly everything was done. We could rest. The three of us. I have to say it was the craziest, scariest night of my life. But the best. THE BEST.Processed with VSCO with t1 preset

The labor itself lasted for more than 20 hours, I did not see almost any blood or anything gross that would keep me up at night. Only the birth of an awesome kid and the happiest and the strongest woman in the world. With the happiest Dad in the world.

Several hours later – we got to our family room and some solid hospital food. Which tasted like heaven. I would give it a 10 out of 10 even though it was boiled potatos(boiled blue) with sausage sauce. We both agreed.Processed with VSCO with t1 preset

Hereby I would like to thank the people in ITK – brilliant work and we felt like home. Thank you.

We stayed there for several nights more. And asked a lot of stupid questions, starting from witch way to put the diaper on to does the way the kid sits in the crib look normal or did we mess up, type of questions. Yeah, it was awesome. I recommend.Processed with VSCO with t1 preset

As a suggestion, if you will be in the same situation – don’t worry, no pregnant lady has stayed pregnant forever. The baby will be born. A few long hours of hard work but with the best outcome you can imagine. Just don’t use Spotify. You will not change the playlists often enough. There are still some songs, that take us back to the hospital room.


Will continue the next time!


The DadProcessed with VSCO with t1 preset




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s